Wednesday, 5 August 2015

Warkworth

Stopped at Warkworth twice on the way north, with Sarah and Mol.  Main reason is that the Hermitage was open on those travel days - for some strange reason they only open it on Sundays and Mondays, so this was the first year we've had a chance to visit.  Good use of our English Heritage membership, as we also stopped in the Castle first for a nice lunch.

Well, you have to do it properly!

We found a nice bit of wall to perch on....

...right under the main keep


From there we headed down the hill to the river bank, and a nice walk.




Mol and I saw these....

We think willow tits, though could be marsh tits - they look virtually identical
Mol and I heard a woodpecker drumming too, very nice.

The hermitage is across the river, so a boat ride.  Sarah and I were there on the May Bank Holiday Monday.  Mol and I were a few weeks later, and no queue at all.  The boatman remembered me!

Not sure if I was meant to be in that shot!





The hermitage was originally a single room chapel with wonderful carvings, and a small room behind where the hermit lived.  Eventually the hermit had a small orchard and so on on the hill above, and built better living quarters, with a walled building outside the hermitage built into the rock.  The kitchen was at the bottom of the steps up, there isn't a lot left of that now.


Looking from the hermitage steps down into the later building

The vaulted chapel



Fireplace in later building. The marks on the wall show flood levels

Oh dear!



We spent a bit of time looking round for the resident kingfisher.  He'd been seen about an hour earlier when Sarah and I prowled, so of course we didn't find him.  It hadn't been seen all day when Mol and I were there - so we did!  (Actually he was pointed out to us by another couple, but as I was looking for him I think I'd have spotted him ok when I got to that bit of the path.)  Sadly he sat in the shadows below the trees, and I didn't have my big lens with me of course, so they're lousy pics.  But you can at least tell it was really a kingfisher.

Shadows and reflections







1 comment: