Sadly not a lot of the house was open - they've been doing restoration work and hadn't finished, though they hope to be by Easter. I didn't see a warning of that on their website, and I do hope they weren't charging non members full price, because there was very little we could see inside. (Looking back now, it does say that parts are closed until May, but nothing to imply that virtually all of it is closed at the moment, and nothing to suggest discounted entry as a result, which I don't think is fair.)
It was a really beautiful day with a proper feeling of spring, but a nippy wind. I got out my macro lens and tried to get some good shots of the camellias, but it was so breezy that even with a shutter speed of around 1/2000 of a second they aren't clear - the flower moved out of focus before I could finish pressing the shutter release.
So here are a few of my favourites.
| Ah Mol, the concentration! We must get them downloaded next visit ready for me to print |
![]() |
| They forgot to tell this tree it's spring now |
![]() |
| The priest hole fan pretty much directly behind the daffs, below that dark course you can see |
![]() |
| Into the inner courtyard from the gatehouse |
| Some of the contents - notably the eagle lectern - have been moved here from parts that are closed |
![]() |
| My favourite shot of the day! |
| The inner courtyard, with the archway under the gatehouse |







It was a truly lovely place.
ReplyDelete