OK, to be honest they're not that fantastic - I did get some decent shots in terms of sharpness , but as the skies were completely grey they're a bit of a wash out - good practice in technique but not a lot else. I tried substituting a slightly better sky in PhotoShop, but the skies are so bleached it was hard to tell where cloud stopped and feather began and they looked too artificial. So I gave up. Still, with 3 days on the islands next year (weather permitting) - B&B all booked already - I'll hopefully get lucky at least one day.
Anyway, all 4 of the main terns are represented in these shots I think. Common and Arctic were fairly easy to get. Sandwich wasn't bad - I rather like the one with the fish, although I could have done with him being a bit nearer. Roseate leaves something to be desired, but at least you can tell what it is - I only got a couple of shots, and this was the best.








We think they're very lovely!
ReplyDeleteNot bad at all - interesting conundrum with the rosy as I suspect they are a schedule 1 species meaning you need a license to photo them at the nest. Given you were on Farnes and not directly "on" the nest you should be fine but dont try and publish it elsewhere!
ReplyDeleteThat said great shots
I didn't know that, and certainly nothing was said or posted up at the island. Anyway, the only shot I got of the Roseate is up aloft with a beak full of fish. The ones on the ground are sarnie terns - zoom in & look carefully, definitely crests and yellow blobs on the tips of the beaks.
ReplyDelete