Thursday, 15 October 2015

St.Patrick's Cathedral

This is New York's RC Cathedral.  The Anglican one is St.John the Divine, and I have no idea where that is.

Actually, yes I have, just went and looked - much further north in Manhattan, above Central Park, so we didn't get anywhere close to that.

Anyway, St.Pat's is in a nice exclusive neighbourhood.  Given the spread of the Irish, I guess the dedication was inevitable.  I think they've been doing a lot of renovation work on it.  Parts are still shrouded in scaffold, and what can be seen is looking beautiful - it puts some of our grimy London Churches to shame.


The flags on the right are on the Rockefeller Center

This is the Fifth Avenue side, not the Madison Avenue side
It's nice and spacious inside, light and airy, with everything you'd expect a well heeled RC Cathedral to have.  We decided that overall we still prefer the Sagrada Familia in Barcelona (which isn't actually a Cathedral of course).










This was our first stop after breakfast on our first full day.  It was a foot slog day.  From here we took Fifth Avenue north to admire expensive shops and visit Central Park properly.


1 comment: