Monday, 25 September 2017

Lunch with Monet

So, long overdue, a post from my trip to Paris with Maria.  We had 2 days out worth telling about, and this was definitely our favourite.  Versailles was very grand, but we would far rather have met Monet than any of the various Louis.  Less grand, much more comfy and welcoming.

It was a beautiful day, sunny and hot, so we went suitably dressed in nice summer florals.  I had been hoping for some good photo ops, and had my macro lens.  But although it was very beautiful, and we both loved the house and gardens, the light was too harsh for the photos to be very good - late morning when we got there.  We spent a couple of hours browsing the property, had a late lunch at a tea room just outside, strolled round the small but attractive village, visited the church then headed back to Paris.

We started with the gardens.  These could be divided into 2 parts.  The well known water lily pond and surrounding area was across the road, reached by a new subway.  There was a bamboo surrounded walk in, and some nice beds round the pond.












Supposedly Monet's boat that he painted from - but I suspect that of being a tale for the tourists myself, and that this is rather more recent




The other half was the house gardens.  Not formal, but zig zagging round a series of gravel paths behind the house.  Big, lots of lavender and bees and butterflies, and full of colour.















Although the lily pond was I suppose more picturesque - and of course just screams Monet at you - I think I probably liked the house gardens best.  Sort of an extended cottage garden really.

And then we went through the house.  Much of it is as he would have known it.  The studio can't be how he left it - not a lot of painting paraphernalia about.  I'm not sure if he really had it laid out as we saw, with all the sofas etc for visitors, but the paintings on the studio walls were - as far as they have been able to ascertain - all stuff he may have had there in the 1920s.  Not originals obviously, but good reproductions of works that are now in museums all over the world.  There was a huge list of credits!

Monet seems to have been very keen on Japanese art - it was everywhere

The studio


His bedroom

View from his bedroom.  I could have slummed it there I think




Definitely my sort of kitchen!


After exhausting ourselves with Monet (and the gift shop) we went for a late lunch.

We did eat as well!
And then strolled round the little village.  It was a big centre for artists in Monet's time, and still is, with lots of small galleries.  We browsed a few. A real mixture - there was one for a sculptor, with stuff in bronze that I could happily give a home to; and there were a couple that screamed at you from the windows and we felt like crossing the road to keep away from.  It's mainly pedestrians only now, but locals have access.

The Church is very simple and rather lovely.  Open and clearly still in use.  The graveyard was lovely.  Most of the flowers on the graves are ceramic, made by the local artists.  Monet has a surprisingly simple tomb.  It was the family plot, and there are just a series of name plaques on it to commemorate the various members buried there.




The Monet family's tomb - Claude's name is the one on the upper surface, to the RH of the plant

The Monet tomb

There were some lovely graves. All the flowers you'll see were ceramic


An aircraft (Lancaster I think) that was shot down in WW2 - this commemorates the 7 airmen

The families all "personalised" the plaques





No comments:

Post a Comment