Monday, 3 February 2014

Kitchen - Day 22

Today I had one of those unavoidable appointments elsewhere.  Well, I suppose it's what's paying for this kitchen.  So before I left I tidied the kitchen ready, moving the bar stools back out and little details like that.


Anyway, I got home from work just before 8pm anxious to see what Martin and Pete had got up to today.

The most obvious thing first was the window - I forgot that it was today Tony was coming back.  Very nice.  It should make the room seem much lighter.


The next obvious point was what wasn't there any more.



The hob will be moving to the right, so the cut out in the top of the cabinets has been extended.  The hob turned up in the lounge, next to the blinds and the Marley doors and the extractor fan.


The sink was a little harder to track down, but I managed it eventually.


Having stripped the room, Martin and Pete got the wine racks aligned and bolted into place and then cut all the easier straight sections.  The kitchen is back to its old self - I had to fight my way through the muddle to get to the vodka this evening, almost a catastrophe but not quite.





The worktop for the dresser has a visible edge on both ends, so they've done a cut out below and inserted an end piece.  I did have to look twice to check which was the made up end.


This stuff is a bit different from the ordinary laminate I had in there before.  It's what they call a solid surface.  There's still an MDF core, but it has a coating of 6mm thick resin on it.


Not very clear, but you can see that it isn't just a thin plastic layer.  I think they've decided to do most of the cutting in the garage, as they need to use a router rather than a jig saw to get the edges neat.  A jigsaw takes out a millimetre or 2.  A router takes out around 14mm.  It's a tip again.


I'm guessing that tomorrow they'll try and get the worktops finished.  There are 2 sections left to cut, but they include the complex joints, and the cut outs for sink and hob.  And then they need to bolt them down, glue them together and get it all buffed up.  I have a nasty feeling that the hard work with the polish will be down to me, in the odd hour I'm awake round the night shifts.

1 comment:

  1. It's certainly getting there. Can't wait to see it!

    ReplyDelete